Sunday, December 20, 2009

A rare and fascinating website devoted to composition

I recently stumbled upon this website, which is run coincidentally by a fellow who is a new faculty member at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore, where I got my doctorate. Composition:Today is one of the handful of sites I've encountered that deals with the nuts and bolts of composing classical music in this day and age. Although it is aimed at, and probably mainly of interest to, composers, it is a very valuable place to look in on now and then for listeners and contemporary music aficionados as well. I would also put the Naxos record label's blog and Sequenza 21 in this category. Bookmark all three of these if you want to take a detour away from the dead German and Austrian guys, or mass pop culture, or both, and keep up on current trends in what my more famous colleagues are up to.

No comments: